Village of Oconto Nebraska
Established 1887
Celebrating 125 years in 2012!
Home | Events | Services | Businesses | Contact
Copyright 2010 Website.com | All Rights Reserved.
The Village of Oconto was established in the fall 1887 following a generous donation of land from Wallace Higgby. The village, once known for its many windmills, was nicknamed "The Windmill Town" by the local people. Originally named Olax the name was changed because of its similarity to Lomax, Nebraska. It is unknown where the name Oconto came from but it is an Menominee Indian word meaning "place of the picerel".
Join us June 7th, 2014
Oconto Volunteer Fire Department
Blowin' the Doors Off BBQ
Click HERE for details!